Search Blog

Dec 25, 2011

Chaotic Christmas Calm


It's Christmas Day! If you are having the average morning here in America, you probably have had a sick spouse or children, the dog whizzing on the tree, someone smeared chocolate from the stockings on the tablecloth, and a major ingredient for the family dinner was likely forgotten. Faking smiles and burying your anger because you believe everyone around you expects you to maintain a good mood regardless just because of the date on the calendar.
However, take a moment, breathe and relax. Know that those with whom you surround yourself today love you and don't really care if your hair isn't perfect or if the turkey is a little dry. The fellowship, the love, the gift of peace for everyone everywhere is why we celebrate this day. Stop and remember this; let the stressful details go and enjoy your friends and family. It doesn't have to be (and won't be) perfect...and they will love you anyway.
Look around at the children today too. They don't know anything but how to have fun today. They are filled with joy and excitement. They probably have no stress and probably no regard of impressions to make either. I think there must be a lesson there somewhere. Perhaps today I should strive to be a little more childlike without shurking my responsibilities, of course. If anyone gets that one figured out, let me in on that secret.
Anyway, may today (and everyday) be filled with joy and blessings beyond understanding and that transcend the conditions around you. Count your blessings; I bet like me, you have many, many more than you permit yourself to recognize on a daily basis. I know I have an amazing life and some of the most wonderful people to share it with me. I love them all, and I know they love me - and that's all that matters today. God bless everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Well said, my friend. Well said.

    rk

    ReplyDelete